Another show that I recorded way back in January or so. I promise it’s all still relevant!
The only change for me is that I now have four books out in my main series instead of three, and that I have even more readers on Facebook, Twitter, and the new fan forum who are asking for the next. Of course, I left them with a nasty cliffhanger on the fourth one (sorry, guys!). As the title says, today’s podcast episode discusses the pros and cons of doing a series.
Pros of writing and publishing a series
- Potential to sell more books overall (people tend to continue on with characters they already know)
- Your work is more likely to stick in people’s minds
- The series as a brand that becomes greater (more well known) than you
- Can spend more on advertising or leads for Book 1
- Can afford to give the first away as a loss leader
- More reader involvement — easier to build a community around characters/world (1000 True Fans idea)
Cons of writing and publishing a series
- If people don’t like the first, they won’t check out any of the others
- Pressure to keep things fresh, interesting, and satisfy the fans as the series continues